We consume a lot, but we fail to use it. The brain is for having ideas, we need something else to store them. We need a Second Brain, so that our actual brain can keep its focus on creativity.
This extra brain should be linking things together instead of consisting of silos.
Steps to build a second brain:
- Think about what you want to remember. Make curated choices. The outcome of this could be your main index.
- The PARA system organizes information by "when" you would like to see it next, instead of organization by category.
- Reading about topic A could lead to insights in topic B. Without having that goal before reading.
- Summarizing and organizing happen in small steps over time. Progressively summarize notes (summary of summary). Organize and add value to a note every time you touch it.
- Use your second brain as basis for creation. For example, to write an article. Stand on the shoulders of giants.
- Information only becomes knowlege when you use it.
- It's never a good time to start, so just start. Work incrementally and improve.
Anything you consume can be put to use anywhere, sometimes in unexpected places.